Winter skin care-Tips
Let’s start with iconic dialogue from Game of Thrones~ The Winter Is Coming. Well it’s already winter now, but I could not resist the urge to say it 😀
Winter time is super anticipated because this is the season of Christmas and new year celebration. However, winter can be harsh on our skin if we leave it untended. Let’s find out how we can enjoy this holiday season without ruining our skin. We don’t want a blotchy, dry and flaky skin, do we?
- Moisturizing the skin is the MOST crucial step in winter skin care. Change your summer moisturizer lotion to a super hydrating and thick in consistency type of moisturizer. Coconut oil is an excellent natural moisturizer on top of that it’s also a good anti-aging product. Moisturize all the time whenever your skin feels dry. Look for moisturizers that contain humectants like glycerine and hyaluronic acid. Humectants attract and lock in water. Keep a hydrating mist and heavy moisturizer cream in your traveling bag.
- Without exfoliation, a smooth skin can not be expected.However do not over exfoliate the skin.Opt for mild exfoliation to clear away dead cells from the skin. Go for fruit enzyme exfoliator if you have sensitive skin. The perfect way to do exfoliation is the gentle upwards move.
- Slough off parched rough skin from the heel by rubbing pumice stone. Then apply a heavy duty moisturizer or even better options- petroleum jelly or glycerine.
- Hot water is dehydrating; it breaks away the lipid layer of the skin which leads to moisture stripping away from skin and hair.So use mid lukewarm water for bath/shower/washing.
- Don’t forget to use sunscreen in the wintertime. Even though the sun might seem to be hiding, the UV rays are still present and will undoubtedly damage your skin if it’s unprotected.Make sure that sunscreen is with SPF 30 or higher.
- Lip scrub should be used at least once a week to get rid of dry cells from your pout. Apply a good lip balm and reapply throughout the day.
- The skin around the eyes is particularly sensitive and in winter, it is more vulnerable to cold weather. Take extra care for your eyes. Spend on a good eye cream. Massage it lightly and put either cold cucumber slices or cold green tea bag on the lids.
- Choose your cleanser well. The most cleanser that lathers well is drying to the skin. Using a hydrating cleanser will reduce the chance of having dry spots.Gel cleanser would be best for winter. There are many cleansers that contain soothing ingredients like vitamin e oil, aloe vera, honey, etc., You can go for this cleanser if the gel is not your thing.
- Some of you may think toner is not much of a help, but I disagree. Different kinds of toner have been launched to market in these past years. Some of them are very effective. A toner, in general, maintains the pH of the skin and removes and a trace of makeup or dirt from the skin. You can find moisturizing toner in the market.
- After exfoliation, do a honey+avocado mask. Honey and avocado are known for their moisturizing and soothing effect. Exfoliated skin will absorb the ingredients very well.
- Use facial oils in the last step to lock in the moisture.
- After showering, slather your face with serum or moisturizer. Do the same for your body with moisturizer cream. Because your skin is damp after the shower so immediately applied cream or lotion will lock the moisture underneath. Also, moist or damp skin absorbs the active ingredients better than the dry skin.
- The hydrating serum is excellent for moisturizing benefits; these products are formed for long-lasting hydration effect. Put an or few layers underneath the moisturizer
- Water Replenishment Cotton Sheet Masks are great for hydrating your skin.
- Gloves cannot protect your beautiful hands from dry, harsh condition if they are not moisturized enough. A proper manicure with high moisturizing routine is required to keep your hand beautiful. Be sure to cut of dry cuticles. Use cuticles cream and excellent hand creams. Silicone-based hand creams are great as these don’t make your hand slippery. To prevent brittle nails in the winter, apply olive oil before going to sleep.
- Eating various raw seeds and nuts will make the skin softer. Vitamin E, antioxidants, and healthy fats are filled inside this delicious food.
- And of course, eat healthily. Winter is the season of all the yummy, healthy, fresh greens and other vegetables. These vegetables are packed with so many nutrients. Add at least two vegetables at every meal. Drink plenty of water to keep your inside hydrated.
I hope these tips help.
Stay warm in this winter. Winter Greetings and Happy New Year.